Norway’s capital is changing into an more and more in style vacationer vacation spot, however some of the widespread points that come up when planning your journey is the place to remain in Oslo. I’m fortunate sufficient to have lived in Norway for nearly 2 years and have executed the legwork for you!
The highest spot to your keep in Oslo is Sentrum, i.e., Oslo’s metropolis heart. Right here, you’ll discover loads of points of interest, eating places, and the perfect collection of Oslo motels.
Learn this submit as a result of I’ve rounded up the perfect locations the place you possibly can keep which can be nice for vacationers – all it’s a must to do is resolve! I additionally went forward and manually in contrast all lodging choices on the market and hand-picked those with the perfect score in every value class – finances, mid vary and luxurious.
Oslo motels are fast to promote out, so that you’ll need to safe your spot ASAP. Take your choose and make your reserving – no time to waste!
If you’re in a rush
Don’t have the time to learn the entire submit? Listed below are some nice motels in Oslo metropolis heart:
Right here’s a map that can assist you get a visible of the areas coated on this Oslo neighborhood information:
1. Sentrum – the place to remain in Oslo for the primary time
The town heart of Oslo (or, as locals name it, Sentrum) is the perfect space if it’s your first time visiting town! Sentrum is the guts of town and it supplies limitless choices for purchasing, eating, and exploring Norwegian tradition.
It undoubtedly comes with the worth – the lodging choices have the best price ticket right here, however it is usually essentially the most thrilling space with no scarcity of locations to exit and issues to do.
The primary place it’s a must to go to throughout your keep in Sentrum is the Royal Palace (map), house of the Norwegian monarch. The palace is located in Slottsparken, or the Royal Palace Park. After you’re executed admiring the Royal Palace, stroll across the park and chill out among the many greenery.
Then, I counsel you go to one of many many museums! Downtown Oslo has one of many highest concentrations of museums I’ve ever seen! The Nationwide Museum is a superb place to begin – it has a formidable artwork assortment and a stunning cafe.
From right here, you possibly can transfer on to Rådhuset, Oslo’s Metropolis Corridor (map), which is just some minutes away. Close by, you’ll additionally discover the Nobel Peace Heart, devoted to the significance of the Nobel Peace Prize and all the things it stands for.
Oslo Sentrum is house to a wide range of museums, and it’s a must to go to no less than a few of them. I like to recommend testing the Historic Museum, The Viking Planet, and the Paradox Museum Oslo, every providing a unique kind of exhibit.
One other must-visit within the Sentrum space is the Akershus Fortress (map), a Thirteenth-century navy fort, the place you possibly can go to an imposing fortress and a pair of museums – the Norwegian Armed Forces Museum and Norway’s Resistance Museum.
Sentrum can be very nicely linked – if you happen to’d wish to see extra of Norway, you possibly can hop on a prepare from Oslo Central Station and see extra of the nation. There’s a high-speed prepare from Oslo to Bergen Station, in order that’s undoubtedly a visit price contemplating!
Only a brief stroll from the central prepare station, this lodge will welcome you with vivid and comfy rooms adorned with vintage furnishings. Company are granted free health club and sauna entry, they usually can even attempt scrumptious Norwegian meals at Bristol Grill or get pleasure from reside piano music on the Library Bar, a well-liked assembly spot among the many Norwegian elite.
Extra lodging within the metropolis heart of Oslo
Conveniently positioned lodge with spacious rooms and a fantastic on-site restaurant specializing in conventional Norwegian meals
This finances lodge is positioned near Karl Johan Avenue and presents each non-public rooms and beds in shared dormitories
A comfy, newly renovated house that gives all the required facilities and easy accessibility to the central prepare station
Oslo’s motels are fast to promote out – particularly on this space. So, if there’s no availability to your dates, listed below are 3 different superb mid-range Oslo motels in Sentrum:
- Park Inn by Radisson Oslo – Only a brief stroll away from the outlets on Karl Johans Gate, this lodge options vivid rooms, every with a personal toilet with heated flooring, and serves a breakfast buffet every morning.
- Thon Resort Vika Atrium – The rooms on the lodge are colourful and have a built-in air flow system, a fridge, and a TV. There’s an on-site restaurant that serves breakfast, and the reception is open 24/7 and supplies complimentary espresso/tea.
- Resort Verdandi Oslo – Located close to the Royal Palace, the lodge presents a every day buffet breakfast, free Wi-Fi, and properly embellished rooms with non-public loos, seating areas, and flat-screen TVs with satellite tv for pc channels.
Issues to do in Oslo Sentrum
2. Frogner – the place to remain in Oslo for households
When you’re questioning the place to remain in Oslo on a household journey or in search of one thing upscale and peaceable, Frogner is your greatest guess. The neighborhood is located West of Sentrum (12 min by transport or 25 min strolling) and it presents very good views of the Oslo waterfront.
Frogner can be top-of-the-line neighborhoods for nature lovers. It has loads of inexperienced areas the place you possibly can have a household picnic and plenty of museums to fill in the remainder of your keep.
Frogner is an upscale, rich neighborhood made up of costly house buildings and motels. Nevertheless, the primary attraction is Frognerparken, i.e., Frogner Park (map), a big inexperienced house that additionally homes The Vigeland Park Sculpture Museum (map) – the biggest sculpture park on this planet!
Inside the park, it’s also possible to go to the Vigeland Museum and Bymuseet (Oslo Metropolis Museum), or you possibly can simply stroll round and chill out. Nevertheless, I’d counsel you cease by the Monolitten (map), a big and well-known sculpture, and snap a photograph in entrance of it.
Then, you possibly can transfer on to discover The Norwegian Museum of Cultural Historical past, which is definitely an open-air assortment of Medieval buildings, however there are indoor reveals, too. Subsequent in your itinerary ought to be the Kon-Tiki Museum and The Fram Museum, each cool historical past museums.
The world round Frogner presents loads of purchasing and high-end eating places while being a bit additional away from town heart’s hustle and bustle, making it the right place to remain for households! Plus, you received’t have bother discovering family-friendly lodging – let’s check out the highest picks!
All of the rooms at this 5-star lodge are air-conditioned and have flat-screen TVs and en suite loos. Company can order room service, benefit from the every day continental breakfast, or dine on the on-site restaurant. Child cots are freed from cost, whereas additional beds could be supplied upon request and incur an additional cost.
Different lodging choices in Frogner
A pet-friendly, family-friendly lodging offering cribs and rollaway beds for a small cost and laundry/ dry cleansing providers
Every of the flats has a personal toilet and a kitchen the place you possibly can put together your personal meals
A spacious house that, apart from a single and a double mattress, presents a toddler mattress and a crib
Issues to do in Frogner
3. Aker Brygge & Tjuvholmen – greatest waterfront location
Aker Brygge is one other great place to your keep in Oslo and my private favourite a part of town. Located on the Oslo waterfront, the realm may be very fashionable, ensures superb views, and presents loads of alternatives to benefit from the outside.
Aker Brygge & Tjuvholmen are tiny even mixed collectively so it might be onerous to seek out one thing obtainable there, undoubtedly e-book prematurely! I like to recommend this space as a result of this can be very near the middle (5-10 min strolling) and it has some good views to the waterfront!
This is among the metropolis’s most trendy areas, with fashionable cafes and waterfront eating places dotted alongside the pedestrian-only zone. The shorefront space can be a fantastic place to begin exploring town’s major points of interest as a result of it borders the Sentrum space, house to essentially the most spectacular sights.
Tjuvholmen is one other in style place in Oslo – a small island linked to the mainland by a bridge. Whereas right here, pay a go to to the Astrup Fearnley Museum of Fashionable Artwork, a up to date artwork museum proper on the waterfront. I might additionally advocate wandering by way of Tjuvholmen Sculpture Park (map) – there are fairly a number of state-of-the-art sculptures which can be price your time and a spotlight. It’s additionally a good suggestion to go to the Tjuvholmen Badeplass (map), a public out of doors bathtub – the right spot to take a dip within the sea!
An opulent boutique lodge that provides in-room spa remedies, a swimming pool, and a free health club. The Thief has spacious rooms with a built-in sound system and a personal balcony. One other perk – all visitors get a free entrance to the Astrup Fearnley Museum, and the lodge is a brief stroll from the Kon Tiki Museum.
Extra lodging choices in Aker Brygge & Tjuvholmen
The lodge presents trendy rooms with Wi-Fi and flat-screen TVs and serves a buffet breakfast day by day
At this lodging, visitors can count on complimentary American breakfast and make use of the on-site parking
An opulent 1-bedroom house with a sea view, and solely a brief stroll from some nice purchasing alternatives
Issues to do in Aker Brygge & Tjuvholmen
4. Gamle Oslo – the place to remain in Oslo for a calming trip
Gamle Oslo, or Gamlebyen, is definitely Oslo’s Previous City and borders the Sentrum space. It’s 5 km away from the middle, however the public transportation in Oslo works amazingly nicely and if you wish to bike, it is just 9 min away (folks use bicycles very often in Norway, there’s a nice app for bike sharing referred to as Oslobysykkel, test it out!).
Right here, you’ll discover fairly a number of points of interest, loads of eating places, and parks surrounding the realm, which makes this the best spot to unwind and chill out.
Throughout your keep in Gamle Oslo, you completely have to go to the Munch Museum. This museum is devoted to the work of Norwegian artist Edvard Munch, and it hosts The Scream, the artist’s most well-known portray and some of the essential items in trendy artwork.
The following attraction in your listing ought to be the Operahuset Oslo, or Oslo Opera Home, house to the Norwegian Nationwide Opera & Ballet; even if you happen to don’t attend a efficiency, it’s best to undoubtedly go to the constructing and look into the provided guided excursions.
After seeing the primary sights in Gamle Oslo, I counsel you discover the inexperienced surfaces. Head to Tøyen, a residential space that’s a part of Gamle Oslo, and spend a calming day in Tøyen Park. When you occur to go to throughout summer season, you may even see one of many festivals held there and attend one of many performances.
On the reverse finish of the neighborhood, you possibly can discover Ekebergparken (map), a sprawling park with quite a few walkways, scenic spots, and sculptures. There’s one other park close by – Middelalderparken (map) – that’s proper alongside the waterfront and presents incredible views of the fjord!
This upscale lodge presents room service and a entrance desk working 24/7. Company can get pleasure from an eco-friendly buffet breakfast and scrumptious cocktails on the Shutter Bar, work out within the health room, or use the lodge’s enterprise providers. The rooms on the Clarion Resort have Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs with media streaming, trendy furnishings, and comfy bedding.
Extra lodging choices in Gamle Oslo
A lodge with trendy, air-conditioned rooms, a health room, an on-site restaurant, and a foyer bar
This sustainable lodging has a kids’s playground, on-site parking, and a charging station for electrical autos
Issues to do in Gamle Oslo
5. Majorstuen / Majorstua – the place to remain in Oslo for purchasing
The Majorstua neighborhood is located on the West aspect of Norway’s capital. It is among the coolest neighborhoods in Oslo, with many parks, sports activities amenities, good eating places, and pubs. It has extra of a business vibe to it and it’s 10 minutes from town heart by public transport (or ~25 strolling).
The Majorstuen neighborhood is house to a very good stretch of the Hegdehaugsveien road, which, after crossing Josefine’s gate, modifications the identify to Bogstadveien – a famend purchasing road.
If you’re planning on doing some purchasing, take a look at Valkyrien Mall. When you’re purchasing on a finances, I’m positive you’ll benefit from the Vestkanttorvet classic market (map) that takes place each Saturday. Identified for its vibrant ambiance, this market has 100 cubicles the place you should buy goodies like second-hand garments and retro house decor. And likewise, there’s waffles!
Majorstua presents extra than simply purchasing, so if you wish to do some conventional touristy issues, it’s best to go to the Oslo Transport Museum, which reveals many cool classic autos and has a cool reward store the place you may get some souvenirs. I’d additionally advocate a go to to the Kunstnernes Hus artwork gallery, showcasing modern artwork.
Please be aware that if you’re touring in the summertime, you’ll in all probability have to make your strategy to the middle to get pleasure from a espresso outdoors – this space has loads of eating places, however largely all are inside ones.
This elegant boutique lodge is positioned near the Royal Palace Park and boasts vivid rooms embellished in step with Scandinavian design. Every morning, visitors are greeted with a incredible breakfast, they usually have round the clock entry to the comfy lounge on the Saga Resort. Free parking and Wi-Fi can be found on the property.
Extra lodging choices in Majorstuen
This 3-star lodge is recognizable for its eclectic design but additionally presents a free breakfast buffet and health club entry
Located in a 1900s constructing, this lodging has rooms with wood flooring, non-public or shared loos, and a TV lounge
A stunning suite with a front room, kitchen, bed room, and a personal balcony, near public transport stations
Issues to do in Majorstuen
6. Grunerløkka – the place to remain in Oslo for the trendiest spots
Grünerløkka has a really handy location east of the Sentrum space (25 min by transport/10 min by taxi). Traditionally a working-class district lined with outdated industrial buildings, Grünerløkka skilled important change lately and is now house to quite a few new eating places, cafés, and cultural venues. These modifications are what make this neighborhood have artsy, bohemian vibes.
The principle artery of the realm is the Grünerløkka ‘strip,’ a bustling boulevard dotted with outlets, native bars, and road artwork. Different must-walk streets are Thorvald Meyers Gate and Markveien – you possibly can simply stroll round or sit in one of many cafes and watch folks go about their day – these streets are the very best areas for people-watching!
The most effective issues about Grunerløkka is that though it’s extraordinarily in style, it’s nonetheless fairly inexpensive. When you’re in search of a hip residential space in Oslo, Grunerløkka is the right alternative.
One of many final methods to expertise the neighborhood is to attempt as many worldwide meals as potential. The perfect place to do it? The Oslo Avenue Meals – a hip meals courtroom the place you possibly can expertise cuisines from everywhere in the world.
There’s a lot to see and do in Grünerløkka, so if you happen to don’t know the place to go subsequent, I’ll direct you to The Botanical Backyard, an indoor/out of doors backyard with loads of crops from everywhere in the world. When you’re visiting the Botanical Backyard, be certain that to cease by The Viking Backyard (map), which exhibits how the Vikings used to develop and maintain their crops.
When you’re executed exploring these gardens, it’s time to maneuver to the Pure Historical past Museum (additionally located inside the Botanical Gardens advanced). On this museum, you possibly can see numerous reveals on geology, zoology, and botany – it’s good for nature lovers!
You’ll be able to spend a calming afternoon at Sofienberg Park (map) or head to Torshov, a district simply north of Grünerløkka, and benefit from the panorama of Torshov Park (map). The Torshov district can be a great place to roam the streets and get a really feel of the native tradition.
Company at this lodge can sit up for a full breakfast, free Wi-Fi, and entry to a health club and a convention heart. The entrance desk is open 24/7, and you’ll flip to the pleasant workers for something chances are you’ll want or need. Every of the rooms at this lodge has heated flooring and a devoted, laptop-friendly workspace.
Extra lodging choices in Grunerløkka
In a handy location close to a prepare station, this lodge has an on-site bar/lounge and presents a laundry service
This newly-renovated 1-room house consists of a comfortable residing space, a purposeful kitchen, 2 beds, and a contemporary toilet
Issues to do in Grunerløkka
- Stroll alongside the Akerselva River
- Cease by the Sunday flea market at Birkelunden Public Park (map)
- Snap some images of the Peer Gynt Sculpture Park (map)
- Guide a non-public strolling tour of Grünerløkka
7. St. Hanshaugen – the place to remain for out of doors actions
St. Hanshaugen is a residential space north of Sentrum that provides hilltop views of Oslo and the fjord and has loads of inexperienced surfaces, best for out of doors actions.
Although St. Hanshaugen St. Hanshaugen Park doesn’t have as many points of interest as among the different areas, it’s near town heart, so you possibly can simply attain the highest sights (it’s positioned on the North of town heart and it’ll take you about 7 min by automotive/13 min by bike to succeed in the middle). Plus, it supplies fairly a number of alternatives for out of doors recreation, and there are good lodging choices and a few nice spots the place you possibly can chill out; general, it’s a fantastic alternative!
Moreover all of the open-air areas, there are fairly a number of eating places, cafes, and bakeries if you happen to want a spot to get inside for a bit.
St. Hanshaugen Park (map) is the primary landmark within the space; inside the park, you’ll discover health club tools – nice for a exercise session – and are available throughout live performance venues and beautiful cafes. Near the park, you’ll discover Bislett Stadion, which hosts a wide range of sports activities occasions, from athletics to soccer video games.
Proper subsequent to the stadium, there’s the Bislet Dangerous & Trening, a spa facility with a health club and an indoor pool that additionally presents yoga lessons. When you’re feeling hungry after all of the bodily exercise, Café Laundromat is shut by, and it’s a really distinctive spot – it’s a restaurant/restaurant that additionally homes a library and has a purposeful laundromat the place you possibly can wash your garments!
Yet one more factor you can not miss in St. Hanshaugen is Oslo Reptile Park, house to many various wildlife reptiles. From there, you possibly can go forward and pay a go to to 22. juli-Senteret, a museum that includes reveals that honor the victims of the 2011 terrorist assaults.
The rooms on the Resort Savoy are snug and embellished in minimalist model, every with a personal toilet, a piece desk, and a flat-screen TV. All visitors are entitled to a complimentary gentle meal every night throughout their keep, however they’ll additionally attempt inexpensive gourmand dishes on the restaurant on website, Restaurant Eik.
Extra lodging choices in St. Hanshaugen
An eco-friendly lodge with underfloor heating, an natural breakfast with each cold and hot dishes, and a 24/7 reception
A contemporary lodge with small, however vivid and soundproof rooms and a furnished terrace the place you possibly can have breakfast
A non-public house with a spacious front room, a separate kitchen, a personal parking spot, and shared laundry amenities
Issues to do in St. Hanshaugen
- Stroll alongside the cobbled streets of Damstredet and Telthusbakken (map)
- Cease for espresso on the Fuglen espresso bar
- Take a look at the structure of St. Olav’s Catholic Cathedral (map)
BONUS 1: Greatest flats in Oslo
When you plan on staying in Oslo Metropolis for an extended time period otherwise you’re touring with a bunch of your loved ones and pals, renting an house is a superb choice. If you end up in an identical scenario, take a look at the perfect Oslo flats you possibly can keep in in your go to to this excellent metropolis.
- numa l Topp Residences – When you’re in search of upscale, family-friendly lodging, this 4-star aparthotel is the final word alternative for you. You’ll get pleasure from numerous facilities at this house whereas being just some minutes away from the Royal Palace Park.
- The Residences Firm – Majorstuen – Every of those flats has a devoted seating space, a kitchen with a dishwasher, and bedrooms stocked with linens and towels – no have to convey something. On-site parking is supplied for all visitors at these flats.
- Total condominium in Sentrum – Conveniently positioned close to the Oslo Opera Home and the prepare station, this studio has a front room with a snug couch mattress and a bed room with a spacious double mattress. The kitchen is provided with trendy home equipment, whereas the lavatory boasts Italian marble surfaces.
- Alexis & Borg Suite – This house is embellished in a sublime and unique model and supplies its visitors with complimentary tea and low. The lavatory has luxurious facilities like underfloor heating and a towel hotter, whereas the bed room/front room encompasses a flat-screen TV with Netflix.
BONUS 2: Motels close to the Oslo airport
The Oslo Airport, Gardermoen, is located 35 km (22 miles) northeast of Oslo Metropolis. There are many nice motels within the Gardermoen space, and it’s a good suggestion to remain right here if you happen to’re solely in Oslo for an evening (or a weekend)! Scroll down for my listing of the final word Oslo airport motels!
- Radisson Blu Airport Resort ($$$) – The pet-friendly Radisson Blu Airport Resort presents clear rooms with snug beds. The lodge is definitely linked to the airport, so that you’ll have easy accessibility to your gate when leaving Oslo.
- Thon Resort Gardermoen ($$) – This eco-friendly lodge is a bit additional away from the airport, however visitors can fee an airport shuttle for a surcharge. A buffet breakfast is served every day, and everybody will get free entry to the on-site health heart.
- Consolation Resort RunWay ($) – An inexpensive lodging with a backyard, terrace, playground, and sauna. The lodge supplies dry cleansing and laundry providers, Wi-Fi freed from cost, a 24/7 entrance desk, and concierge providers.
BONUS 3: Greatest hostels in Oslo
Oslo is among the costlier cities in Europe, so lodging costs are typically on the upper finish, even the extra inexpensive choices. Though I like to recommend a budget-friendly choice for every of the really useful areas, these costs can nonetheless be excessive for some vacationers.
So, I made a decision to make an inventory of the highest Oslo hostels so folks touring on a good finances will nonetheless have a very good place to remain in Oslo. Simply remember that these hostels are a bit removed from the middle; I ordered them by distance, beginning with the one closest to the guts of town.
- Anker Hostel – Located in Grünerløkka, the hostel is only a 15-minute stroll away from Karl Johans Gate and different essential points of interest. The Anker Hostel presents lodging in spacious rooms, every with its personal toilet and kitchen.
- Central Metropolis Residences – Although this selection is barely lower-rated than my different suggestions, it supplies glorious worth for cash. Positioned in Gamle Oslo, it’s near all the primary sights and has an on-site bar and restaurant.
- HI Oslo Haraldsheim – Within the Grefsen neighborhood, 4 km (2.4 miles) from the middle, the hostel has non-public rooms and shared dormitories, a fully-equipped shared kitchen, a backyard with BBQ amenities, and a library with a billiards desk.
Sensible tips on staying in Oslo
- You don’t really want a automotive whereas in Oslo – the transportation system works like a clock and if you’re touring in the summertime, I can extremely advocate utilizing a motorcycle sharing subscription app referred to as bysykkel.
- The general public transport system is named Ruter and has one ticketing system, i.e., you want only one ticket to make use of all buses, trams, subways, trains, and even ferries. Buy the ticket for Zone 1 and get the Ruter app to seek out routes and journey choices – you’ll get in every single place very quickly!
- Summer season and truly winter (ski season) is the excessive season for Norway, so be certain that to e-book your lodging prematurely then!
- One other space that’s my notable point out is Grønland. This a part of town additionally warrants a go to, largely due to Grønlands Torg, a big purchasing space the place you’ll discover distributors promoting recent produce, clothes outlets and beautiful eating places.
- When you nonetheless haven’t discovered a spot that will tick all of the containers, test Bygdøy peninsula. It’s house to many museums which can be price a go to. I like to recommend you begin with the Viking Ship Museum, the place you possibly can see authentic Viking ships – enjoyable for the entire household. Plus, Oslo’s Viking Ship Museum has the best-preserved assortment of Viking ships and different objects!
FAQs about the place to remain in Oslo
💯 What’s the greatest space to remain in Oslo?
The perfect space to your keep in Oslo is Sentrum, the central a part of Oslo. Right here, you’ll discover town’s major points of interest, together with the Royal Palace Park, Metropolis Corridor, and the Nationwide Gallery, and there are many superb Oslo motels, for instance, the Resort Bristol.
😎 What’s the coolest neighborhood in Oslo?
⏳ What number of days in Oslo is sufficient?
On your keep in Oslo, you’ll want between 2 and three days. This ought to be sufficient time to see the primary sights and expertise town’s tradition.
🤔 Which is best, Oslo or Bergen?
If you’d like the quintessential Norwegian expertise and easy accessibility to the highest sights, Oslo is the final word place to be. Nevertheless, if you wish to see the fjords, Bergen is the higher choice, so be certain that to look into these superb spots for a Bergen keep.
🗓️ What’s the greatest month to go to Oslo?
The perfect months to go to Oslo are between Could and August, i.e., through the summer season season. The climate is good and nice, and you’ll spend loads of time outside.
⏳ The place to remain in Oslo for one evening?
That’s it, guys! Right here’s the entire Oslo neighborhood information! I hope it helps you and the perfect neighborhoods and motels within the metropolis and resolve the place to remain in Oslo.
When you haven’t chosen one thing already, listed below are my absolute prime 2 lodge suggestions for a keep in Sentrum, Oslo:
- Resort Bristol – A chic lodge with vintage furnishings and a tremendous restaurant
- Hotell Bondeheimen – a stunning lodge with trendy rooms and a health heart
I hope you just like the nation I referred to as house for some time and you’ll proceed your journey additional to see extra of what Norway can supply (spoiler alert – quite a bit!). We’ve got fairly some posts about Norway, you possibly can see the entire listing right here.
Be at liberty to go away me a remark you probably have any questions on your journey to Norway!
Have a fantastic journey,
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!