That is a type of Dutch oven recipes for tenting that’s good throughout blueberry season! Recent berries and a easy batter create this straightforward Lemon Blueberry Topped Campfire Dutch Child Recipe.
How To Make This Recipe
This tenting Dutch child is ideal for cooking together with your camp Dutch oven, it’s not too candy making it one in all our actually enjoyable tenting breakfast concepts however this dish additionally works properly as one in all your tenting dessert recipes too.
Dutch Oven Dutch Child Cooking Suggestions
This straightforward lemon blueberry Dutch child requires a 10-inch Dutch oven. When you solely have bigger sized ovens, simply use a 10-inch pan (like a pie tin) inside your oven.
To make this as one in all our straightforward campfire recipes: It’s best to bake with hardwood (like mesquite or oak) and use sizzling campfire coals which are comparable in dimension to charcoal briquettes.
To make this as one in all our camp range recipes: If you wish to bake utilizing a propane camp range, you’ll want to make use of a dome. It is a nice possibility if you happen to’re tenting with hearth restrictions. I’ve an whole weblog publish with a VIDEO to point out you how you can use a Dutch oven dome and warmth diffuser plate.
Getting super-fresh taste on the campsite is very easy whenever you zest recent citrus. I like this Zester Grater that comes with a plastic blade cowl for my tenting utensils. You might be not all the time cooking with optimum lighting so covers on sharp instruments makes good security sense!
Think about mixing your dry components at house
I hate carrying giant quantities of dry components like flour and sugar as a result of I do know I simply must lug the unused parts again house. So, for this straightforward blueberry lemon Dutch child, I measure and blend my dry components at house and transport solely what I must the campsite in lid-locking meals storage containers. Then, at camp, I simply combine the moist components with the pre-measured dry components once I’m able to bake.
Baking in windy circumstances
Camp Cooking Tip: If you’re cooking together with your camp Dutch oven in breezy circumstances, block the wind to keep away from warmth loss. You should utilize a number of items of firewood to dam the wind or use precise camp range wind screens.
Rotate for even baking
With a purpose to guarantee your Dutch child campfire recipe seems evenly cooked, it is best to rotate the oven and lid in reverse instructions through the cooking course of.
Stressing the significance of campfire cooking security can’t be performed sufficient. When dealing with sizzling gear across the campfire, be sure you keep away from burns by utilizing the precise gear like these Dutch oven warmth guard gloves.
Step 1. Put together your components, warmth supply and gear as directed.
Step 2. Place eggs and milk on counter, allow them to come to room temperature.
Step 3. Macerate the berries. Mix the blueberries, sugar, lemon zest and juice in a bowl. The acid will start to break down the fruit and mix with the sugar to make a good syrup.
Step 4. Whisk the moist and dry components collectively. You’ll usually use a blender to make the batter actually clean however most campers (together with me) don’t have that sort of kitchen gear. Simply use a whisk or fork to mix the batter.
Step 5. Soften butter within the backside of the Dutch oven then pour the batter into the pan. Bake till puffy and barely browned across the edges.
Step 6. Serve heat topped with blueberry combination and sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
I like utilizing recent blueberries when they’re in season. If you wish to make this Dutch child with a completely different seasonal fruit, go for it! Through the fall and winter months, I like utilizing a mixture of chopped apples and cinnamon sugar.
- When you don’t need to use fruit in any respect, you’ll be able to simply high the Dutch child with maple syrup.
- For dessert, contemplate toppings like vanilla ice cream or whipped cream and chocolate syrup.
I add a savory breakfast meat on the facet, breakfast sausage patties or thick crispy bacon are my household’s favourite choices.
For drinks, I serve sizzling campfire espresso, sizzling chocolate, orange juice and chilly milk.
Extra Tenting Recipes Like This
My Savory Dutch Child Tenting Recipe has a salty richness from bacon and pepper jack cheese. It’s an exquisite breakfast or brunch meal that’s fully satisfying.
This Swedish Oven Pancake is a custardy sort of pancake that’s form of like a mixture of a puff popover and a crepe. I serve it the normal means with syrup on high however I additionally serve it topped with tomato salsa for a savory taste profile.
When you love berries, you must attempt these different tenting recipes:
- Dutch Oven Blueberry Cobbler: That is my dad’s favourite dessert. I wish to make it for him on his birthday, whether or not we’re tenting within the wilderness or at house.
- Blueberry Lemon Dutch Oven Muffins: That is one other candy deal with that mixes lemon and blueberries. You bake them in foil cupcake wrappers proper in a Dutch oven. Then, high them with a scrumptious glaze.
- Dutch Oven Combined Berry Cobbler: This dessert got here out of necessity. My mother and father had been shifting and it was my job to make a dessert with components they already had at house (no purchasing allowed so we didn’t must pack much more meals for the transfer). This cobbler was an actual hit!
- Grilled Pound Cake With Berries: I like serving this pink, white and blue dessert after we’re tenting over patriotic summer season holidays. It makes use of a store-bought pound cake to make it very easy!
- Strawberry Basil Bruschetta: It is a fancy appetizer that’s very easy. The candy berries are complimented by the tangy goat cheese.
- Raspberry Lemon Drop Tenting Cocktail Recipe: Do that drink if you happen to like your cocktails barely tart and candy.
Print This Recipe
Lemon Blueberry Topped Campfire Dutch Child Recipe
Tenting For Foodies Breakfast Tenting Recipes: This Dutch child pancake is topped with a mixture of blueberries, lemon juice and zest for an amazingly recent style. Serve it for breakfast or a yummy dessert.
Batter Dry Components (will be measured and blended at house)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch floor nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 1 pint recent blueberries
- 1 teaspoon sugar you could need to regulate the sugar quantity primarily based on the sweetness of the berries
- 1 lemon zest 1/2 the lemon and juice the entire lemon
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Stop your display screen from going darkish
Permit milk and eggs to come back to room temperature.
Put together the fruit by putting the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice and zest in a small bowl and put aside so the berries can macerate.
Put together the batter by whisking the eggs, milk, flour, nutmeg and salt in medium dimension bowl.
Preheat 10 inch camp Dutch oven to 425 F levels (27 whole coals or briquettes = 18 on high of the lid/9 under the underside of the oven). (see * Notice)
Put together the Dutch oven by melting the butter within the backside of the pan.
Pour batter evenly over the melted butter.
Bake lined until puffed and barely browned, about half-hour relying in your outdoors air temperature and altitude so regulate the baking time accordingly. Rotate the lid and oven in reverse instructions 1/4 flip each 10 minutes for even baking. (see ** Notice)
Serve topped with the macerated berries and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Serving: 1gEnergy: 256kcalCarbohydrates: 38gProtein: 7gFats: 10gSaturated Fats: 5gPolyunsaturated Fats: 1gMonounsaturated Fats: 3gTrans Fats: 0.2gLdl cholesterol: 112mgSodium: 94mgPotassium: 227mgFiber: 4gSugar: 19gVitamin A: 429IUVitamin C: 26mgCalcium: 70mgIron: 2mg
Extra Meals Concepts
Make each camp meal easy and scrumptious.