Planning an England street journey? Listed below are a number of the finest itinerary concepts for all schedules, together with London to Cornwall, the Cotswolds and Kent in southern England, Nationwide Parks just like the Lake District or Peak District, Northern England and all the way in which as much as the Scottish border.
No matter your cup of tea, there’s a UK street journey thought right here for you. We’ve additionally offered a useful map so you possibly can visualise your route.
*We work arduous to make this the very best motorhome weblog and street journey web site potential, filled with useful content material for you. The web site is supported by our readers, so for those who purchase via hyperlinks on this web site we might earn a commission- at no further price to you. All opinions stay our personal.
If you happen to discover this put up helpful, you possibly can additionally deal with us to a espresso – we promise to get pleasure from it whereas creating extra helpful content material like this- we’d even bask in a biscuit (or two!)
UK Highway Journeys- The way to Plan
Planning a UK street journey to England or elsewhere will be robust.
There are SO MANY locations, concepts, choices and reviews- how on earth are you supposed to decide on the easiest way or most scenic drives?
Then, you must consider how lengthy you will have to your UK street journey (remembering that a lot of rural UK has smaller, slower roads, so it takes quite a bit longer to get there than you may count on.
So, for those who’re planning a street journey round England (and the UK) and feeling overwhelmed, listed here are a few of our favorite street journeys and itinerary concepts that will help you. We’ll talk about the very best bits of every space, why and when you must go to, how far it’s from London and the place you must enable further time to discover.
England Highway Journey Concepts- The place to Begin
The very first thing to resolve is the place you wish to go to in your street journey. Additionally, keep in mind that England is just one part of the UK- there are a number of different international locations to discover (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Eire make up the UK).
So, if you wish to do a full UK street journey, you’ll want extra time than for those who have been simply doing an England street journey.
Our greatest tip is to not overface your self. Whether or not you solely have a protracted weekend for a fast journey from London or per week to get out on the open street and tour, ensure you go away time to truly get out of your automobile and discover the locations you’re visiting- you’ll discover loads of historic websites, sandy seashores and unbelievable routes to get pleasure from.
Roughly talking, you possibly can break up England in half- the South of England and the North (the road roughly goes via Birmingham) and even additional into quarters for those who solely have time for a one-week street journey.
Once more, how far you possibly can journey will rely upon how a lot time you will have, in addition to how you might be travelling (rental automobile, motorhome or public transport), however to do every half ‘correctly’ we’d advocate not less than 2-3 weeks- particularly if it’s your first time in England.
Having mentioned that, you possibly can see a number of the finest sights in much less time than that- right here’s our one week in England street journey itinerary.
The place to remain throughout your England street journey
If you happen to’re planning a motorhome or campervan journey, you’ll have the ability to journey and cease alongside the way in which, usually with out reserving prematurely, utilizing schemes like Brit Stops or wild tenting in your motorhome.
If you happen to’re in a automobile or bike, there are PLENTY of accommodations and BnBs to make use of en route. If you happen to’re travelling in summer season we advocate reserving not less than the primary cease in advance- for those who use Reserving.com for all of your lodging you’ll discover you will get a terrific deal and save some huge cash.
England Highway Journey Map
I understand how arduous it may be to visualise locations for those who don’t know the nation nicely, so right here’s a map of England with a number of of the street journey locations proven on it.
Out of curiosity, for those who did this route, it’s about 1056 miles (1700km) lengthy. You might technically do it in per week, however you’d barely have time to get out of the automobile!
Frequent England Highway Journey Questions
How lengthy does it take to drive the entire of England?
Many individuals marvel “How lengthy does it take to drive the entire of England?” That’s a tricky query, as there are such a lot of locations to go and relies upon quite a bit in your start line.
Most individuals enable 2-3 weeks to drive via as a lot of England as they’ll, however that can contain a LOT of driving. After all, you possibly can check out the street journey itinerary concepts under and see which scenic route or quaint villages most attraction to you- after which plan your journey round that.
One frequent UK street journey thought is to drive from Land’s Finish in Cornwall all the way in which as much as John o’Groats in Scotland, which is about 838miles (1350km). Clearly, this can be a street journey which entails England AND Scotland, and that brings me to a different vital level.
Can we go to England by street?
This can be a frequent query for anybody who doesn’t dwell within the UK- and the brief reply is sure, you possibly can drive to England from mainland Europe.
Whether or not you’re having fun with a European street journey (listed here are some concepts for you), or wish to mix a visit to England with one other nation, you possibly can drive to England from Europe through both the Eurotunnel or taking considered one of a number of automobile ferries (additionally they take motorhomes/ campervans on a lot of the ferry routes.)
If you happen to’re planning a street journey from France to England, which route you are taking will rely upon which a part of France and England you wish to visit- discover out extra in our Eurotunnel vs Ferry put up.
And for those who’re going the opposite manner and can be driving in Europe, ensure you are conscious of the brand new guidelines for driving in Europe after BREXIT.
If you happen to’re like extra assist planning your journey, this put up about the right way to plan an epic UK street journey will assist.
Is England the UK or Nice Britain?
Neither. And a part of each 🙂
It’s frequent for folks to confuse an England street journey with a UK street journey. England is only one nation throughout the UK, together with Wales, Scotland and Northern Eire. If you wish to prolong your journey and see extra of these international locations, you may get pleasure from our put up on the finest UK street journeys and scenic drive concepts.
The UK is brief for ‘The UK of Nice Britain and Northern Eire’.
Nice Britain is the LANDMASS of the biggest island within the British Isles (the one which makes up England, Wales and Scotland). Northern Eire, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands usually are not included on this.
And, to make issues much more odd, the British Isles contains ALL the islands, together with the entire of Eire, which isn’t a part of the UK in any respect.
Totally confused? Okay, let’s simply follow England street journey concepts! 🙂
South England Highway Journey Concepts
If you happen to’re visiting London and wish to discover a part of the nation for a number of days, southern England is an efficient place to start out. After all, there are a HUGE variety of locations to discover in ‘South England’ (which is roughly classed as wherever under Birmingham), so I’m simply going to select a number of highlights to encourage you.
Cornwall is considered one of my favorite locations to street journey in England. I spent 2 years residing there while I used to be within the Navy, and have been again many occasions since. There are many issues to do in Cornwall, however there are some vital ideas you want to know earlier than you arrive!
Why is Cornwall probably the greatest England street journeys?
If you would like cute villages, unbelievable seashores and extra historical past than you possibly can shake a stick at, Cornwall is ideal. Additionally, they’ve a number of the finest ice cream IN THE WORLD (no kidding) and it’s completely acceptable to eat a scone with jam and clotted cream EVERY day and nobody will choose you.
IMPORTANT NOTE: There’s intense rivalry between Devon and Cornwall over whether or not jam or cream ought to go first on a scone. In Cornwall, they do jam and THEN cream, which is outwardly the way in which the Queen most well-liked her scones.
(Don’t fear, they’re used to vacationers and gained’t stone you for those who get it improper. However be warned if you wish to dwell there…!)
In Devon, they do it the opposite manner. I’ve tried each, and I’m a jam first lady (as a result of you possibly can then put extra cream on!)
When do you have to go to Cornwall?
Cornwall is finest anytime between Easter and mid-October.
TOP TIP: Keep away from July and August for those who probably can. The faculties are on vacation and it seems like EVERYONE in England has travelled to the identical small Cornish village as you.
Seashores are overcrowded, parking turns into a battle and there’s a really actual probability of retailers working out of ice cream. Don’t do this to your self. You deserve that ice cream.
Additionally, many companies and points of interest shut after mid-October for the winter, so that you may discover you possibly can’t do every little thing you wish to outdoors the season.
Having mentioned that, we discover Cornwall probably the greatest locations to get pleasure from Autumn in Europe– the climate continues to be heat, however in all places is quieter and simpler to get to.
How lengthy do you have to spend roadtripping Cornwall?
How lengthy is a chunk of string!! However, as you possibly can see on our Cornish street journey itinerary, we advocate 7-10 days minimal to see all the very best locations.
The place are the very best locations to go to in Cornwall on a street journey?
Did I point out that I used to dwell right here? I’ve SO many suggestions for locations to go to we might be right here all week!!! A few of my absolute favourites (and that is like selecting my favorite little one… or chocolate bar) embody:
- Tintagel Citadel (the house of Arthur and the spherical desk)
- Minack Theatre (constructed onto the aspect of a cliff)
- Boscastle (the place probably the greatest witchcraft museums on the earth is!)
- Newquay seaside (and bars!)
Advisable by Ben at Driftwood Journals
Famed for its limitless rolling hills, craggy coastlines and clotted cream delights, Devon is unsurprisingly one of the fashionable locations within the UK – and a dream for rural road-trippers! With wild moors galore, cutesy cities and villages, and bountiful seashores, you don’t should drive far in Devon to come across scenes of unparalleled magnificence.
Highlights and finest locations to go to in Devon
- Dartmouth- probably the greatest cities within the county (and residential of the Royal Naval Officer coaching. I spent a 12 months right here…working up these bl***y hills!) Rent a ship and discover the river.
- Paignton- the seaside with the pink sand and is also referred to as the English Riviera.
- Exmouth with its lovely painted homes
- Salcombe Harbour – a vacation hotspot for all generations.
- Dulverton- head to the Copper Kettle tearoom; you gained’t remorse it!
Devon street journey concepts
Pack up your motorhome/ camper (or automobile with tent) and discover a web site with views throughout the Devonshire cow-grazed hillsides of the Lyn Valley, or out over Dartmoor. You possibly can wild camp in Devon, however not on the moors. Discover out extra about motorhome wild tenting within the UK.
For a coastal journey, discover sea cities like Salcombe and Dartmouth (the place you possibly can take a ship as much as Greenway, Agatha Christie’s summer season residence) and spherical to Exmouth, earlier than heading north to Woolacombe, Dawlish and the fishing boat bobbing harbour of Ilfracombe. Benefit from the bustle and tradition within the capital of Exeter or uncover the infamous jail of Dartmoor.
If in case you have extra time (and gasoline) to burn, take to the A386 between Appledore and Plymouth, traversing via forested valleys to picture-perfect cities like Nice Torrington and Tavistock, the place you possibly can tour the tearooms and plan the remainder of your journey within the park whereas dangling your toes within the River Tavy.
However the true fantastic thing about street tripping in Devon is that you just don’t really want to plan too extensively. You’ll by no means be removed from a cream tea pitstop, and the verdant nation roads will provide up a number of the most excellent picnic spots you’ll ever see. All you want is is a full tank, and a little bit endurance when caught behind tractor after tractor!
When is the very best time to go to Devon on a street journey?
As with Cornwall, the very best time to go to Devon is Spring to Autumn, however keep away from the excessive summer season months for those who can, particularly for those who’re on a UK motorhome vacation.
Are you able to go to Devon on a day journey from London?
You possibly can, nevertheless it’s fairly a protracted drive. I’d say you’d want not less than 2 or 3 days to essentially have the ability to discover something.
Dorset- Considered one of England’s Finest Highway Journeys
Advisable by Paul | Anyplace We Roam
The Jurassic Coast stretches 95 miles throughout Dorset in southern England. With an iconic shoreline of towering white cliffs, it’s a superb vacation spot for a traditional street journey. Beautiful surroundings, historic websites and native breweries make the Jurassic Coast probably the greatest locations to expertise the gorgeous English countryside.
Dorset street trip- finest locations to go to?
The primary spotlight of a street journey to Dorset within the space must be Outdated Harry’s Rocks – a set of white stone monoliths which have been carved out alongside the coast. It’s one of the spectacular stretches of surroundings within the UK with dazzling chalk stacks assembled like a jigsaw puzzle ready to be accomplished. If you happen to get time, make sure to get pleasure from one of many many fabulous Dorset walks- you gained’t remorse it.
A thirty-minute drive away, Corfe Citadel stands as a reminder of England’s Eleventh-Century previous. It was one of many earliest Norman castles constructed and at present it glows in its dilapidated glory overlooking the Dorset hills. It’s a surprising, photogenic inclusion on a UK street journey.
For an additional pure phenomenon, Durdle Door is probably one of the recognisable symbols of the Jurassic Coast. Over time, crashing waves have eroded limestone stacks within the sea leaving a wonderful pure arch. It’s an exquisite stretch of seaside, superb for a protracted summer season stroll.
Editors observe: (I (Kat) really jumped off the highest of Durdle Door on my hen celebration!)
After absorbing the beautiful surroundings, head west to Lyme Regis, a quaint city with a vibrant impartial retail scene. The historic Cobb Harbour set in opposition to moody cliffs is well-preserved and homes a number of the finest espresso within the space.
When is the very best time to go to Dorset on an England street journey?
One of the best time to go to the Jurassic Coast on a street journey is from Could to early July when the encompassing countryside can be verdant inexperienced and coated in wildflowers, however there’s not an excessive amount of visitors!
Hampshire street journey
Hampshire is one other county in England we all know nicely, having lived right here for 14+ years. There’s lots to get pleasure from on a street journey to Hampshire, from lovely cities to picturesque nation homes.
Highlights of a Hampshire street journey
A few of our favorite locations to go to in Hampshire embody:
- Winchester- make sure to go to the Cathedral the place Jane Austen is buried and you may see one of many oldest Bibles on the earth. If you happen to’re fortunate sufficient to be visiting in December, don’t miss the well-known Winchester Christmas Market, held within the Cathedral grounds every December.
- Highclere Citadel (or Downton Abbey, as you may realize it!)
- Lymington – for the oldest open sea water baths within the UK – and the New Forest (try the Wildlife park there and ensure to take some memorable pictures).
- Hinton Ampner- 18th century well-known manor home identified for its gardens.
- Portsmouth (you MUST go to the Mary Rose museum and HMS Victory)
- Isle of Wight (see under)
Isle of Wight street journey
Advisable by Darek | DarekandGosia
The Isle of Wight, well-known for its lovely views, is an island on the south coast of England, just under Southampton. Technically, it’s a part of Hampshire, however seems like a unique world.
With a motorhome or automobile, you possibly can attain the island by ferry from both Southampton or Portsmouth – guide prematurely throughout summer season. There are additionally a few foot passenger ferries and a hovercraft from Southsea.
Why is it considered one of England’s finest street journeys?
The Isle of Wight is like going again in time. It’s value a street journey right here for even a weekend, to flee the hustle and bustle of regular life, experience bikes and take a stroll on the cliffs.
Additionally, there are some fantastic locations to remain. If you happen to’re on a street journey, try these superb Isle of Wight campsites– some with beautiful sea views!
What’s there to do?
You can begin exploring the island in Shanklin – one of many coastal villages well-known for its lovely seashores. On the promenade alongside the ocean one can find many eating places and accommodations – a lot of the Island is often tourist-oriented.
From Shanklin drive to the western a part of the island. Probably the most attribute level is The Needles – three chalk rocks rising from the ocean with a small lighthouse constructed on the finish of one of many columns. You may get to Needles by automobile after which observe the trail on foot to the cliff slope. It’s a superb place for a picnic.
Subsequent to Needles is Outdated Battery, a navy fortification courting from the nineteenth century. There you will discover World Struggle II memorabilia or go to one of many numerous exhibitions are additionally going down.
Whereas driving across the island ensure you get to Carisbrooke Citadel close to Newport. Its development started within the twelfth century. It’s value taking a second to stroll across the citadel, loosen up within the Edwardian-style backyard.
Considered one of my favorite locations on the Island is Osborne Home- Queen Victoria’s summer season residence. You possibly can stroll across the gardens and the home and even get pleasure from an ice cream on her personal seaside. Osborne Home is run by English Heritage.
When is the very best time to go to the Isle of Wight?
The Isle of Wight is a must-see for anybody who needs to admire the British local weather and above all improbable views. It’s value going right here all 12 months spherical – it’s really one of many finest locations to go to in Europe in October, when there are fewer vacationers and you may benefit from the views & roads!
Advisable by Mandi | Huge Household, Little Adventures
Generally you need nothing greater than to flee the hustle and the bustle of on a regular basis life, the noise, the intense lights, the unending tempo of life. If you wish to get away, the Norfolk Broads is pure escapism; huge skies, loads of peace and quiet and an abundance of wildlife.
Finest locations to go to in Norfolk on a street journey
- The Outdated Roman Fort at Burgh Citadel with an elevated place and commanding views over the marshes – excellent for a stroll in each winter morning frost or a sizzling and hazy mid-summer night
- If you happen to want a little bit of exercise, Wroxham is a bustling Broads village- residence to Roy’s of Wroxham, probably the biggest village store you will have ever seen
- Loads of riverside pubs and eating places in Wroxham and throughout the Broads- the right locations to cease for a chunk to eat
- St Benet’s Abbey – an Eleventh century monastery defying time, standing in a surprising inexperienced valley.
- If you’re an animal lover, you’ll get pleasure from a go to to Wroxham Barns to feed the lambs or spot the gray seals on the Norfolk seashores
Norfolk Highway Journey- when is the very best time to go to?
You possibly can discover Norfolk all 12 months. In summer season, if you need to discover the finest Norfolk seashores or Broads up shut, why not rent a dayboat; these will be employed at numerous boatyards all through the Broads. Waveney River Centre is one other beautiful place to cease and admire the view, both by boat or automobile.
The problem is (as at all times in England!) the climate. In dry circumstances, most paths are glorious, however it might get a bit more difficult in moist climate.
Nonetheless, through the years, an growing variety of boardwalks have been developed, growing protected entry to the Broads regardless of the climate. Additionally, seeing the windmills and rivers on a crisp winter morning is unforgettable.
Time doesn’t cease in Norfolk, nevertheless it actually does really feel prefer it slows down. To have the ability to watch the sundown throughout the broads any time of 12 months is a magical expertise and the right place to get pleasure from a relaxing street journey.
Sussex, Kent and Surrey
Ahhh, the picturesque south-east nook of England, which incorporates the Backyard of England (that’s the opposite title for Kent). This space is lush, inexperienced and has some many historic buildings and castles you’ll discover it inconceivable to keep away from them.
It’s additionally residence to loads of beautiful sandy seashores, white cliffs (resembling Dover and Beachy Head) and a few really fantastic parks to stroll in.
Even higher, it’s all simply reached from London by automobile and prepare, so it’s straightforward to get away from town for a number of days for those who’d like a countryside break or a visit to the seaside.
Finest Locations to go to in Sussex embody:
Sussex is definitely break up into East and West Sussex, however to make issues straightforward in your street journey I’ve made one checklist for you. They’re not that far other than one another!
- Brighton: A vibrant seaside metropolis well-known for its pebble seaside, iconic pier, and the Royal Pavilion with its distinctive structure. Discover the Lanes for distinctive outlets and benefit from the metropolis’s full of life arts and music scene. See under for extra concepts
- Arundel: Residence to Arundel Citadel, a medieval and Victorian citadel that overlooks the River Arun. The city itself is picturesque with cobbled streets and vintage outlets.
- Chichester: A historic cathedral metropolis with Roman origins, Chichester provides a mixture of historical past, tradition, and purchasing. The Chichester Cathedral and Pallant Home Gallery are notable points of interest.
- Lewes: Identified for its medieval structure, Lewes Citadel, and historic streets. The Lewes Bonfire Evening is a well-known annual occasion.
- Eastbourne: A conventional seaside city with a Victorian pier, lovely seafront, and the long-lasting Beachy Head cliffs close by.
- Rye: An enthralling medieval city with cobbled streets, half-timbered homes, and views of the encompassing marshland.
- Battle: Well-known for the Battle of Hastings in 1066, this city is residence to Battle Abbey and the Battlefield. Discover the historic websites and study this pivotal occasion in English historical past.
- Petworth Home and Park: A stately mansion with a powerful artwork assortment set in an unlimited deer park. The gardens are additionally value exploring.
- Seven Sisters Nation Park: A shocking coastal space with dramatic chalk cliffs and rolling hills, excellent for mountaineering and having fun with breathtaking views.
- Bodiam Citadel: A 14th-century moated citadel surrounded by water and picturesque landscapes.
- Sheffield Park and Backyard: A Nationwide Belief property identified for its beautiful gardens, lakes, and vibrant shows of crops.
- Birling Hole and Beachy Head: Extra beautiful chalk cliffs and coastal views, with the added fantastic thing about the pure arch at Birling Hole.
- Glyndebourne Opera Home: Identified for its world-class opera productions, the opera home is about in lovely countryside and provides a novel cultural expertise.
Finest locations to go to in Kent embody:
- Canterbury– residence to the UNESCO World Heritage Website of Canterbury Cathedral
- Dover: Identified for the long-lasting White Cliffs of Dover, this coastal city is residence to Dover Citadel, which boasts a fancy historical past and provides panoramic views of the English Channel.
- Rochester: An enthralling city with a medieval citadel and cathedral. It’s additionally the birthplace of Charles Dickens, and you may go to the Dickens World theme park.
- Whitstable: This coastal city is known for its oysters and seafood. Benefit from the quaint streets, seaside huts, and seafood eating places alongside the coast.
- Margate: A seaside city with a revived inventive scene, that includes the Turner Up to date artwork gallery and the scenic Margate Sands.
- Leeds Citadel: Also known as the “loveliest citadel on the earth,” Leeds Citadel is about on an island in a lake and surrounded by lovely gardens.
- Hever Citadel: The childhood residence of Anne Boleyn, with historic structure, gardens, and a maze.
- Chatham Historic Dockyard: A maritime museum the place you possibly can discover historic warships, submarines, and study Britain’s naval historical past.
- Biddenden Vineyards: If you happen to’re a wine fanatic, Kent has a number of vineyards. Biddenden is without doubt one of the oldest and most well-known.
- Canterbury Tales Customer Attraction: An interactive museum the place you possibly can step again in time to expertise Chaucer’s well-known tales.
- St. Augustine’s Abbey: A UNESCO World Heritage Website, this abbey in Canterbury dates again to the sixth century and is a big historic web site.
- Chartwell Home: The previous residence of Winston Churchill, now a museum showcasing his life and legacy.
These are only a few highlights of what Kent has to supply. Whether or not you’re taken with historical past, nature, or tradition, you’re more likely to discover one thing interesting on this numerous and exquisite county.
Finest Locations to Go to in Surrey
- Field Hill: A Nationwide Belief web site identified for its beautiful views and strolling trails. It’s a well-liked spot for outside lovers and provides panoramic vistas of the encompassing countryside.
- Polesden Lacey: A grand Edwardian property with lovely gardens, Polesden Lacey is a Nationwide Belief property that gives a glimpse into the lives of the rich within the early twentieth century.
- Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village: Situated in Compton, this distinctive attraction is devoted to the works of Victorian artist George Frederic Watts and his spouse Mary Watts. The village features a gallery, chapel, and artist studios.
- Hampton Court docket Palace: Whereas a part of the palace is in Larger London, the beautiful Hampton Court docket Palace is true on the border of Surrey. It’s well-known for its Tudor historical past, grand structure, and exquisite gardens.
- RHS Backyard Wisley: A flagship backyard of the Royal Horticultural Society, Wisley provides all kinds of crops, landscapes, and backyard designs to discover.
- Brooklands Museum: A museum devoted to motorsport and aviation historical past, situated on the location of the world’s first purpose-built motor racing circuit.
- Loseley Park: A grand Elizabethan manor home surrounded by lovely gardens and parkland, open to the general public throughout sure occasions of the 12 months.
- Denbies Wine Property: England’s largest winery, Denbies provides excursions, wine tasting, and exquisite views of the encompassing countryside.
- Newlands Nook: One other viewpoint providing breathtaking views of the Surrey Hills, excellent for picnics and outside actions.
- Epsom Downs: Identified for Epsom Downs Racecourse and the well-known Epsom Derby, this space provides open areas and strolling trails.
- Virginia Water: A part of Windsor Nice Park, Virginia Water includes a lake, decorative cascades, and woodland walks.
Surrey’s mixture of historic websites, pure magnificence, and cultural points of interest make it a pleasant vacation spot for a wide range of pursuits. Whether or not you’re into historical past, outside actions, or just having fun with scenic landscapes, Surrey has one thing to supply.
Brighton – East Sussex
I’ve given Brighton it’s personal part as a result of it’s considered one of my favorite cities in England and you must attempt to add it to your England street journey itinerary, particularly for those who’re heading towards East Sussex.
Brighton is a metropolis famend for its numerous communities and innovation, the quirky purchasing areas, its music and artwork scene, and its giant LGBT inhabitants. Learn extra about Brighton in Autum.
Why is Brighton probably the greatest England street journeys?
Brighton is lower than an hour away from London (76 km) and on a direct prepare line. It provides loads of enjoyable and thrilling actions to get pleasure from (extra than simply fish and chips at a pier!)
Brighton has been well-known as a cultural centre for over a century. It’s residence to the world’s oldest working aquarium (which opened in 1872- now known as ‘’Brighton Sea Life’’), and you may even experience the world’s oldest working electrical railway, the Volks Railway, in-built 1883.
Different Brighton Highlights embody:
- See the Palace Pier
- Catch the most recent launch within the Duke of York Picturehouse, Britain’s oldest cinema.
- Have a stroll down the North Lane- residence to over 400 impartial outlets
- Uncover the Victorian improvements nonetheless in operation within the metropolis.
How lengthy do you have to spend in Brighton?
It would be best to spend not less than two days in Brighton to really take within the metropolis, however you possibly can simply make per week of your itinerary if you wish to discover extra locations in Sussex, Kent and Surrey.
What’s the finest month to go to Brighton?
The sunniest (and due to this fact warmest!) time of the 12 months in Brighton is from Could to September. July and August are peak vacationer season, with resort costs skyrocketing, so concentrate on that and plan your keep accordingly.
Cambridgeshire & Cambridge
Cambridgeshire is a county within the East of England with lots to do. The jewel of the county is Cambridge, with a historic, 800-year-old centre you must undoubtedly not skip.
Why do you have to embody Cambridge in your England street journey?
Only one hour and half-hour away from London through M11, Cambridge provides a lot: a wealthy historical past of English heritage, a buzzing local people, and a picturesque setting. You’ll even discover a reward Henry VIII gave to Anne Boleyn!
- See the King’s Faculty Chapel
- Take pleasure in breakfast at Fitzbillies
- Go punting within the River Cam
- Have a picnic by the river.
- Take pleasure in strolling the historic streets
Cambridge Journey Itinerary thought
Leaving London, head as much as Cambridge through the M11.
Begin the day with drinks and a meal in one of many many deli and brunch locations in Market Sq. earlier than setting off to discover town. I extremely advocate the well-known Fitzbillies- the meals is scrumptious.
From there, you possibly can select from a wide range of actions: visiting King’s Chapel, punting within the River Cam (go beneath the Bridge of Sighs), mountaineering on the Cam Towpath (numerous hidden gems if you understand how to search for trails!), or taking within the metropolis views from St. Mary’s Tower.
If you happen to’re staying in a single day, finish the day by attending the Evensong on the King’s Faculty Chapel (choose days solely)
When is the very best (and worst) time to go to Cambridge?
Cambridge is gorgeous all 12 months spherical. Nonetheless, the worst time to go to could be spring – the college college students sit their finals between April and June, which implies lots of the faculty websites are closed to guests.
What are a number of the finest locations to go to in Cambridge?
The King’s Faculty Chapel within the College of Cambridge is the third-oldest college in operation and essentially the most iconic and instantly-recognisable constructing within the county.
Don’t miss out on a chance to drink on the Eagle, a historic pub within the coronary heart of Cambridge’s metropolis centre famously linked to Watson and Crick’s discovery of DNA.
If you’re feeling adventurous and are able to courageous the British winter, go to Cambridge in December. It’s off-peak season and options probably the greatest UK Christmas markets you must go to. Learn all concerning the Cambridge Christmas market right here.
How lengthy do you have to spend in Cambridge?
At some point in Cambridge is normally sufficient time to go to the vast majority of the primary sights, particularly in case you are visiting in the course of the summer season. You’ll want tickets for a lot of the chapels and college buildings, so go first to purchase these.
Wiltshire & Cotswolds Highway Journey – 3 day journey from London
Advisable by Ann | The street is life
The Cotswolds is the biggest Space of Excellent Pure Magnificence (AONB) in England and Wales. If you happen to have a look at a map of England, discover Bristol (west coast, just under the indent of southern Wales) and the Cotswolds is the realm north-east of Bristol.
There’s a lot magnificence and engaging historical past to find across the Cotswolds area and by chance you don’t should journey removed from London to get there! You possibly can attain Bathtub or Bristol simply in a day from London, however we advocate not less than 3 days to essentially discover the realm by automobile/ motorhome, plus discover Stonehenge and Salisbury on the way in which again to London. If you happen to’re travelling with kids, don’t worry- there’s loads of issues to do within the Cotswolds with children.
Highlights & Finest Locations to Go to within the Cotswolds and Surrounding Space
- Discover the charming stone villages of the Cotswolds
- go to the historic metropolis of Bathtub
- marvel on the mysterious historic stones of Stonehenge
- Bask in some purchasing at Daylesford farm
- cease on the magnificent Salisbury Cathedral.
When is the very best time for a Cotswolds street journey?
Though the Cotswolds will be visited all 12 months, this street journey is finest accomplished within the spring or summer season months to make sure hotter and sunnier sightseeing climate.
The times are additionally longer- permitting you to see extra every day. Nonetheless, in contrast to Cornwall and Devon, most locations to NOT shut throughout winter, so be at liberty to discover at any time when fits you!
Wiltshire & Cotswolds street journey itinerary from London
- Departing London, drive out to the Cotswolds. That is the place you must spend 3-4 days exploring as many pretty little cities and villages as you want to.
- A couple of of the prettiest Cotswolds villages embody Bibury, Stow-on-the-Wold, Decrease Slaughter, Bourton-on-the-Water, Citadel Combe and so many extra! The fantastic thing about the Cotswolds area is that the villages are all situated in shut proximity with minimal driving time in between them.
- After getting seen your share of pretty English villages, stick with it to Bathtub which is just a 30-minute drive from the village of Citadel Combe- nicely value a go to.
- Spend a full day and evening in Bathtub visiting the Roman baths.
- From there proceed to Stonehenge. A go to to this unbelievable historic web site can simply take half a day. We camped in a single day at Stonehenge and noticed essentially the most INCREDIBLE dawn we’ve EVER seen. (Critically, watch the video. It’s breathtaking)
- From Stonehenge, it’s solely a brief 20-minute drive to the medieval city of Salisbury which brings you to the ultimate cease of this street journey.
- The spotlight of Salisbury is the beautiful Salisbury Cathedral which has the tallest spire in all of Britain! Spend one evening in Salisbury earlier than making the ultimate 2-hour street journey again to London.
- An alternative choice is to return to London through the historic metropolis of Oxford. Don’t miss a meal in Sticks and Sushi- one of many finest eating places in Oxford and with unbelievable views over town.
North England Highway Journeys- Why You Ought to Go to
It’s straightforward when planning an England street journey to get sucked into well-known locations like Cornwall, Devon or the Cotswolds- and people are all AMAZING locations to go to.
Nonetheless, I strongly encourage you to go to the north of England as nicely if in case you have time. You’ll discover villages simply as fairly, scrumptious meals (chips, pie and gravy is the very best factor on the earth) and unbelievable historical past.
Once more, we have been fortunate to dwell up right here for 4 years- listed here are a few of our absolute favorite locations to street journey, though there are after all many extra now we have but to find! I hope they provide you some concepts and inspiration to your subsequent journey.
Don’t overlook to Seize your ULTIMATE street journey planner right here– it has every little thing you want to provide help to pack to your street journey.
Peak District Nationwide Park
The Peak District is a large and beautiful space in Derbyshire, simply to the east of Manchester. It’s an ideal place for a street journey as a result of there are such a lot of issues to see!
A automobile or motorhome makes it straightforward to journey between the websites and there are many campsites or accommodations to make use of as you discover.
There are a mess of hikes, walks and tors to climb and the realm is known for its caves, which individuals nonetheless lived in as not too long ago as 1910!
The Peak District was the UK’s first Nationwide Park and can be thought of the true ale capital of the world! If you happen to’re exploring the Peak District with children, there are steam trains, tramways, cycle paths and even a cable automobile taking you as much as see some beautiful views! There’s additionally Alton Towers theme park – probably the greatest within the UK.
Finest locations to discover within the Peak District
A number of the highlights embody:
- Chatsworth Home
- Ladybower reservoir
- Alton Towers theme park
- Heights of Abraham cable automobile
Lake District street journey
Advisable by Fiona/ Passport & Piano
The Lake District Nationwide Park is a UNESCO heritage web site that makes for the right street journey. Strolling across the lakes and fells to see the magnificent surroundings is without doubt one of the many pleasures of the realm.
Quintessential villages are plentiful as are conventional English pubs with actual ale and hearty meals. Don’t simply rush by in your manner from England to Scotland; take a number of days and luxuriate in all that the lakes have to supply.
Finest locations to go to on a Lake District Highway Journey
Most individuals arrive from the south through Windermere, however to discover the areas hidden gems its value spending not less than three days right here. The Lake District has a number of the worlds finest scenic drives and a visit alongside the Honister Move and Kirkstone Move are a should.
Within the South Lakes, I’d extremely advocate a go to to Grasmere. Right here you possibly can go to a number of properties of the well-known poet William Wordsworth and luxuriate in Sarah Nelson’s pleasant gingerbread.
If you happen to love Beatrix Potter, you possibly can observe in her footsteps at Beatrix Potter World in Bowness- on- Windermere. Her residence close to Hawkshead is open to guests, and Wray Citadel is an exquisite spot the place she loved her household holidays.
Within the North Lakes, the cities of Keswick and Cockermouth have lots to discover. The Castlerigg stone circle, with its beautiful views throughout the fells, is value stopping at, and the “Shock View” throughout Derwent Water is spectacular.
If you happen to’re not exploring in a motorhome or campervan, lodging all through the realm is plentiful. There are boat rides and water-based actions to get pleasure from on a lot of the lakes and a plethora of outside pursuit centres for the extra adventurous.
When is the very best time for a Lake District street journey?
In the summertime months, the Nationwide Park will be fairly busy significantly on the primary A66 street which runs via the centre. Therefore if you wish to keep away from the crowds, take into account visiting within the spring or autumn.
When you’re not assured sunshine at any time of the 12 months, the climate might be at its finest between April and September.
England Highway Journey- Yorkshire & The Dales
Advisable by Sinead | Map Made Reminiscences
England’s largest county, Yorkshire, is an ideal vacation spot for a street journey. There are such a lot of numerous points of interest to see inside a comparatively brief drive of one another.
Highlights and a few finest locations in Yorkshire to go to
- Hardraw Drive–England’s highest single-drop waterfall
- White Scar–The longest present collapse England
- Go to the ‘Finest Road in Britain’
- Go to the cobbled Shambles, named ‘the Finest Road in Britain’.
- Marvel on the Ribblehead Viaduct, the 24 arches that span the Yorkshire Dales, a real masterpiece of Victorian engineering.
- Castles and ruins in every single place
- Stand on Hogsmeade station (or not less than the station which performed it in Harry Potter!)
Yorkshire Highway Journey Itinerary
Begin your street journey within the rolling hills and river valleys of the gorgeous Yorkshire Dales. Go to the Eleventh century Skipton Citadel or descend underground to marvel on the formations in White Scar Caves, the longest present collapse England.
Clamber over Brimham Rocks or hike the beautiful panorama round Malham Cove. Browse the impartial outlets within the Victorian spa city of Harrogate.
Locations to go to on the Yorkshire Dales
The Yorkshire Dales are full of engaging waterfalls. Select between the plunging falls round Ingleton, fashionable Aysgarth Falls or, my favorite waterfall, Hardraw Drive which is England’s highest single drop waterfall. Earlier than leaving the Dales, go to the spectacular monastic ruins and landscaped gardens of Fountains Abbey.
Proceed your street journey by exploring the historic metropolis of York. This compact metropolis is definitely navigated on foot and is a perfect location for historical past buffs. You possibly can go to Viking, Roman, Georgian and Victorian websites all in someday!
See the long-lasting York Minster, stroll town’s medieval metropolis partitions and stroll alongside the cobbled Shambles, which has been voted the ‘Finest Road in Britain’ and was the inspiration behind Diagon Alley from the film adaptation of the Harry Potter sequence!
Highway journey over the Yorkshire Moors
Finish your Yorkshire street journey with a drive throughout the wild Yorkshire Moors. Take a scenic journey on a steam prepare throughout the Moors to go to charming Goathland prepare station which doubled as Hogsmeade station within the Harry Potter films. Alternatively, your legs with a hike on the Gap of Horcum, an enormous historic pure amphitheatre.
How lengthy do you have to spend exploring Yorkshire on a street journey?
You might ‘cowl’ Yorkshire in a few days however to really recognize all it has to supply I’d advocate not less than one full week.
When is the very best time to street journey to Yorkshire?
Yorkshire will be explored all 12 months around- and count on rain at any time! However Spring is unbelievable on the moors- with the wildflowers blooming and the times getting longer, it’s an ideal time to go to. Autumn additionally provides spectacular views with the leaves turning color, offering an unbelievable backdrop.
England Highway Journey Concept – North East Coast
Northern England’s east coast is filled with charming cities and villages, and is the right vacation spot for a street journey.
Finest locations to go to on a North East coast England street journey
- Saltburn-by-the-Sea (to seek for fossils)
- Lemon high ice-cream – Its legacy goes again over 100 years!)
- Staithes- picturesque fishing village
- Whitby Abbey – the inspiration behind Bram Stoker’s Dracula
- Robin Hood’s Bay (the place smuggling was commonplace
- Scarborough Citadel
North East England street journey itinerary
Begin in Saltburn-by-the-sea. Make sure to seek for fossils all through your go to. I really discovered one in Saltburn-by-the-Sea, however you will get fortunate in any of the locations on this checklist! Saltburn-by-the-Sea is residence to the historic Saltburn Cliff Tramway and affords lovely views from the bluffs above city.
You possibly can stroll alongside The Cleveland Means, a historic path that runs via every of the 5 areas talked about. I’d additionally advocate making an attempt Lemon High Ice Cream, or vanilla ice cream with a dollop of lemon sorbet on high.
Staithes is a quaint fishing village laden with slim pathways and quirky cottages.
The Whitby Abbey towers above the city, giving it an eerie feeling – it’s even credited because the inspiration behind Bram Stoker’s Dracula!
Robin Hood’s Bay has a protracted historical past with smugglers, and its pink rooftops and crowded buildings conceal hidden routes. In Scarborough, you possibly can get pleasure from rides on the Luna Park amusement park or go to the historic Scarborough Citadel!
When is the very best time to street journey England’s north-east coast?
Though you possibly can go to this space all 12 months spherical, I’d counsel visiting in the summertime or fall. It rains a lot of the 12 months on this area of England, however there’s a better chance of sunshine from July via October.
How lengthy to spend on this England Highway journey?
You possibly can full this street journey in lower than 2 hours, however I’d counsel spending not less than a number of days exploring the area. Every Yorkshire coastal city has its personal allure and actions to supply, so that you actually don’t wish to rush!
How far is it from the North east coast to London?
Scarborough to London takes about 5 hours by automobile. Keep away from travelling Friday afternoons or Monday morning- these are the height street visitors occasions.
Don’t miss Durham
We spent a beautiful couple of days exploring town of Durham. There are such a lot of fantastic locations to discover, however one of many highlights for us was Durham Cathedral. This unbelievable constructing was constructed within the Eleventh Century and is the biggest surviving stone vaulted ceiling of its dimension.
Nonetheless, if I’m sincere, I used to be extra excited by the truth that a number of scenes in Harry Potter have been filmed right here, together with within the cloisters and lots of the coated walkways.
It was additionally in Durham Cathedral that Harry, Ron and Hermione encounter ‘Fluffy’- the forbidden hall was additionally a part of the cathedral.
Different improbable issues to see in or close to Durham embody:
Advisable by Tracy | Travels in Time
The Northumberland Coastal route stretches for over 35 miles from Alnmouth within the south to the Holy Island of Lindisfarne within the north.
The drive takes you thru an space of excellent pure magnificence with many lovely villages and locations of curiosity to go to alongside the way in which.
How lengthy to spend on a Northumberland coast street journey
This itinerary covers a day journey however you might spend a number of days exploring the realm and even stroll the Northumberland Coastal Path alongside the identical route in case you are feeling as much as it!
Northumberland street journey itinerary
The primary village to go to is Craster – well-known for its kippers and missed by Dunstanburgh Citadel. If you happen to’re on the lookout for spectacular castles in England, Northumberland is the place to go- there are extra castles right here than every other county in England!
After exploring Craster and the citadel, head to Seahouses. A preferred seaside city for households with numerous arcades and fish and chip outlets that is the place to cease for a chunk to eat.
If the climate is sweet why not hop on a ship over to the Farme Islands? With giant colonies of seals and puffins the islands are fashionable with nature lovers.
Bamburgh Citadel dominates the horizon and is value exploring. It was as soon as the house to the Royal Seat of the Kings of Northumbria and in addition has a ghost or two!
After Bamburgh head to the Holy Island of Lindisfarne. Be sure you examine the tides earlier than you go- the island is tidal and is just accessible throughout sure occasions.
As soon as on the island take a stroll as much as the citadel. Don’t miss exploring the ruins of Lindisfarne Priory. That is the place well-known as the house of Christianity in England till Viking raids ultimately led to the abandonment of the priory.
When is the very best time for a Northumberland street journey?
One of the best time to go to Northumberland and locations in North East England is in the summertime – the times are lengthy and the solar will hopefully be shining! Bear in mind that on events in the course of the summer season a sea fret (mist) can hold over the coast and funky temperatures and reduce visibility. Make sure that to examine the climate forecast earlier than you journey.
Wow- anybody else wish to soar of their motorhome/ camper/ automobile/ bike and head off to start out exploring? What a improbable checklist of England street journey locations!
As you possibly can see, it actually doesn’t matter the place you go or how lengthy you must discover England- you’ll have loads of locations to get pleasure from. And who knows- subsequent time we set off for Norfolk, we’d even make it there with out swinging by Cornwall first!! 🙂