Whether or not that is your favourite cruise line or not, a couple of issues that the corporate has achieved proper are plain –effectively, for probably the most half.
Royal Caribbean has been making massive waves these days. After constructing and selling what would be the largest cruise ship on this planet, they haven’t been shy in teasing particulars about their imaginative and prescient for the way forward for cruising.
Royal Caribbean Worldwide has been round since 1968. However over the previous few years the cruise line, previously generally known as Royal Caribbean Cruise Line, has solidified its dominance on the cruise market in a couple of key classes.
Listed here are 10 ways in which Royal Caribbean has been dominating the cruise market.
1. Largest cruise ships on this planet
With the approaching Icon of the Seas and Utopia of the Seas, Royal Caribbean will personal seven of the biggest cruise ships on this planet. And it’s not even shut. When the primary Oasis-class ship debuted in 2008, the cruise line unveiled the primary cruise ship with a registered quantity over 200,000 gross tons and a passenger capability over 6,000.
After Utopia of the Seas comes out in 2024, the final of the unique behemoth ships will spherical out the category, however Icon of the Seas would be the new largest cruise ship on this planet at 250,000 GRT and a capability of seven,600 company. Icon of the Seas will measure 1,198 toes in size and 213 toes in width.
Royal Caribbean dominates the class of largest cruise ships at sea, and it’s a title that won’t be overtaken any time quickly.
The following closest cruise strains by way of ship measurement are MSC Cruises with their World-class ships at 215,863 gross tons and a number of other Carnival Corp. constructed ships round 184,000 GRT.
Disney Journey would be the largest ship in Disney’s fleet after its anticipated debut in 2025. The ship’s gross tonnage can be not less than 208,000 gross tons with a capability anticipated to be round 6,000.
2. Extra cruise ships than every other cruise line
With the upcoming ships to debut this 12 months and subsequent, Royal Caribbean could have 28 ships within the fleet, greater than every other cruise line on this planet. The following closest is Carnival Cruise Line with 27 after Carnival Jubilee debuts.
It was solely in the previous few years that Royal Caribbean handed Carnival by way of what number of cruise ships every cruise line at the moment owns.
These ships vary in age and sophistication, from the oldest ship within the fleet, Grandeur of the Seas (inbuilt 1996) to the primary of its class and aforementioned Icon of the Seas.
See the complete listing of each cruise ship in Royal Caribbean’s fleet right here.
3. Daring improvements with the brand new ships
Royal Caribbean has by no means been afraid to push the envelope with regards to know-how and innovation. Whether or not you see the robotic bartenders, dwelling gardens extending 5 decks vertically, or high-flying diving exhibits on the again of the ship, the corporate continues to “wow” with each new ship that’s constructed.
They even discovered a method to brighten up these darkish inside cabins with Digital Balcony Staterooms which supply a big vertical display screen that exhibits an actual time view of the ocean to simulate an precise balcony.
VOOM high-speed web was a breakthrough innovation for the corporate, and it got here at a time when Wi-Fi service on a cruise ship was iffy to say the least.
Central Park on Oasis-class vessels is a quiet, peaceable space filled with inexperienced flowers — actual inexperienced flowers. Actually, there are over 20,000 crops on this cruise ship backyard, one thing you possibly can solely discover with Royal Caribbean.
The all new AquaDome on Icon of the Seas will host aqua exhibits on the entrance of the ship and incorporate robotic arms and light-weight projections to boost the leisure expertise. This dome coated house, which provides the ship its distinctive ‘brow’ of kinds, can be a serene lounge in the course of the day, a alternative of the solarium discovered on different ships this measurement throughout the fleet.
The following level emphasizes a few of these improvements and the way they provide issues to do for the extra adventurous amongst us.
4. Adventurous Onboard Actions
If you wish to have enjoyable on a cruise ship, making an attempt heart-pumping actions you by no means thought you might strive at sea, Royal Caribbean is the cruise line for you. Whereas there are many locations to loosen up on a Royal Caribbean ship within the solarium or spa, the road is understood for providing an enormous number of issues to do onboard.
Actually, lots of the issues you are able to do on a Royal Caribbean ship, are merely not obtainable with different cruise strains.
Listed here are just some issues obtainable on some ships within the fleet:
- Rock-climbing partitions
- FlowRider surf simulators
- Sky-diving simulators (RipCord by iFLY)
- North Star – On Quantum-class vessels that is an extension arm journey that can take you over 300 toes above sea degree.
- Zip strains – The zipline is 9 decks excessive over the Boardwalk on Oasis-class ships.
- Ice-skating rinks – For each passenger use and for superb ice exhibits at evening, not less than 13 ships within the fleet have this characteristic.
- Final Abyss – A dry slide over 200 toes lengthy that runs 10 decks down the ship, that is the longest slide you’ll discover on a cruise ship.
- Bumper automobiles
- Laser Tag
- Escape Rooms
5. Cruises to virtually each nook of the world
Together with having probably the most ships comes the benefit of having the ability to sail to extra locations. And simply because “Caribbean” is within the identify doesn’t imply the cruise line doesn’t additionally journey to virtually each continent on this planet.
From locations in Alaska to Mediterranean cruise ports, Royal Caribbean presents sailings to a whole lot of ports on this planet.
From this month till April of 2025 listed below are some locations supplied by the cruise line together with the variety of sailings for every location.
- Alaska: 86
- Asia: 147
- Australia/New Zealand: 106
- Bahamas: 1,014
- Bermuda: 52
- Canada/New England: 32
- Caribbean: 1,234
- Europe: 215
- Hawaii: 12
- Mexico: 703
- Center East: 30
- Panama Canal: 6
- Tahiti/ South Pacific: 53
- Trans Atlantic/Trans Pacific: 30
6. Broadway type exhibits and tons of leisure
Royal Caribbean is understood for providing all kinds of Broadway-style exhibits and leisure on its cruise ships. The cruise line at the moment options 4 Tony Award-winning Broadway musicals:
- CATS is the second-longest operating musical in Broadway historical past, and Royal Caribbean’s manufacturing options all the basic songs and dances, in addition to the long-lasting Jellicle cat costumes.
- Saturday Evening Fever is a tribute to the disco period, with all the basic songs from the film, together with “Stayin’ Alive,” “Evening Fever,” and “How Deep Is Your Love.”
- Mamma Mia! is a worldwide smash hit musical set to the songs of ABBA, and Royal Caribbean’s manufacturing options all the favourite songs, together with “Dancing Queen,” “The Winner Takes It All,” and “Take a Likelihood on Me.”
- Grease is a basic musical about teenage love and insurrection, and Royal Caribbean’s manufacturing options all the basic songs, together with “You’re the One That I Need,” “Summer time Nights,” and “Grease.”
Along with these Broadway musicals, Royal Caribbean additionally presents quite a lot of different leisure choices, together with:
- Authentic productions: Royal Caribbean additionally produces its personal authentic exhibits, corresponding to Flight, Blue Planet, and Gallery of Desires. These exhibits are sometimes visually gorgeous and have gifted performers from all around the world.
- Water acrobatics: Royal Caribbean’s AquaTheater is house to among the most spectacular acrobatics and synchronized swimming exhibits on this planet.
- Ice exhibits: Royal Caribbean’s Studio B ice rink hosts quite a lot of ice exhibits, together with Broadway on Ice, which options skaters performing to basic Broadway present tunes.
- Comedy: Royal Caribbean presents quite a lot of comedy exhibits, together with stand-up comedy, improv comedy, and magic exhibits.
- Music: Royal Caribbean presents quite a lot of stay music performances, together with cowl bands, dueling pianos, and karaoke.
7. Cabin classes for each sort of traveler
Whether or not you’re a excessive curler or a cruiser on a price range there are every kind of stateroom classes to select from on a Royal Caribbean ship.
The Final Household Townhouse is the costliest suite on the road’s upcoming Icon of the Seas. It prices round $75,000 per week and may accommodate as much as eight company in 3 ranges that embody a film room, balcony with a whirlpool, and butler service.
After which you’ve got some decrease value inward going through staterooms on Oasis-class ships that provide a view of both the Boardwalk or Central Park. These cabins supply a twist on the within cabin that normally has no view in any respect. And as acknowledged earlier Royal Caribbean has digital balconies on a few of its ships that give inside cabins a digital view exterior the ship.
Royal Caribbean additionally has quite a lot of specialty cabins, such because the Final Household Suite, which has a slide from the children’ bed room to the lounge, and the AquaTheater Suite, which has a personal balcony overlooking the AquaTheater.
For solo vacationers, there are not less than 13 cruise ships within the fleet which have studio cabins. You’ll be able to see which cruise ships have studio cabins and what number of are on every ship right here.
Associated: The 5 least expensive cabins on any cruise ship
8. A personal island not like every other
CocoCay was utterly remodeled when Royal Caribbean determined it was time to boost the place a bit. After spending $250 million to show the island right into a 125-acre playground for each member of the household, the island is now probably the most distinctive non-public islands you’ll discover wherever.
A number of the highlights at Excellent Day at CocoCay embody:
- Thrill Waterpark: Thrill Waterpark is a 13-acre water park with 13 waterslides, a wave pool, and an journey pool. The tallest waterslide, Daredevil’s Peak, is the tallest waterslide in North America.
- Oasis Lagoon: Oasis Lagoon is a seven-acre freshwater pool with a swim-up bar, floating cabanas, and a waterslide.
- Chill Island: Chill Island is an adults-only space with non-public cabanas, a swim-up bar, and a seaside.
- South Seashore: South Seashore is a family-friendly seaside space with volleyball courts, basketball courts, and quite a lot of water sports activities actions.
- Up, Up and Away: Up, Up and Away is a helium balloon that takes you 450 toes above the island for gorgeous views.
- Zip Line: The zip line takes you hovering over the island at speeds of as much as 35 miles per hour and presents a 1,600 foot course that crisscrosses the island.
Understand that whereas there are complimentary issues you are able to do on the island, lots of the actions do carry an additional value.
Carnival has simply launched some renderings of its new non-public vacation spot at Celebration Key as effectively, so we’ll carry on eye on that as extra data comes out.
9. Loyalty perks that really matter
After evaluating cruise loyalty applications throughout a number of cruise strains, it was fairly clear that Royal Caribbean has top-of-the-line in comparison with cruise strains in the identical value vary. There’s a cause some cruisers keep “loyal to Royal”.
With the Crown & Anchor Society there are six ranges company can attain. After your first cruise you’re robotically enrolled in this system, beginning out with Gold degree and finally reaching Pinnacle Membership for probably the most loyal of cruisers. Every evening spent on the ship is an additional level in direction of your standing, with factors doubling for suite company.
Diamond degree takes 80 factors to succeed in and is the place among the extra significant perks kick in. Amongst different issues, advantages embody 4 complimentary every day drinks (as much as $14), 1 free day of Surf+Stream Wi-Fi, precedence ready listing for shore excursions and spa providers, Diamond Lounge entry, 2 free waters, 1 free picture, and extra.
Diamond Plus takes 175 factors to succeed in and advantages embody all the earlier perks together with free specialty eating for a 2nd visitor, 2 free days of Wi-Fi, precedence entry to theaters and exhibits, a customized present, one free laundry bag for wash and fold service, a free spa add-on remedy, and lots of different reductions.
Pinnacle Membership degree is reached at 700 factors and members who attain this standing can actually soak within the rewards. In addition to all the advantages above, Pinnacle Membership members obtain Coastal Kitchen entry, $25 off specialty eating, free breakfast at any specialty restaurant, free limitless web, concierge lounge entry, cruise certificates for a free cruise with a 7N balcony, and extra.
10. Eating choices that run the gamut
Whereas Royal Caribbean doesn’t supply as many complimentary choices as Carnival, they do supply all kinds of eateries, providing one thing for any choosy palate.
Listed here are among the extra in style eating places on Royal Caribbean ships and what you possibly can anticipate.
- Chops Grille: This upscale steakhouse presents quite a lot of premium cuts of meat, seafood, and aspect dishes.
- Jamie’s Italian: This Italian eatery serves up basic Italian dishes made with contemporary, seasonal elements.
- Giovanni’s Desk: This restaurant presents quite a lot of Italian dishes, together with pasta, pizza, and seafood.
- Izumi: This Asian meals providing gives Japanese teppanyaki delicacies and is likely one of the hottest locations to eat on a Royal Caribbean ship.
- Hooked Seafood: This restaurant presents quite a lot of contemporary seafood dishes, together with sushi, sashimi, and lobster rolls. Reservations are beneficial.
- Wonderland: This restaurant presents a novel expertise with colourful and even magical shows of your meals that’s extra of an tour than only a place to eat.
- Johnny Rockets: This American diner serves up burgers, fries, milkshakes, and different basic diner fare.
- El Loco Recent: This Mexican restaurant serves up tacos, burritos, quesadillas, and different Mexican dishes.
- Starbucks: Yup, there’s even a Starbucks on sure ships within the fleet. This espresso store serves espresso, tea, pastries, and different mild snacks.
- Playmakers Sports activities Bar & Arcade: This sports activities bar and arcade serves up burgers, wings, nachos, and different bar meals.
When Icon of the Seas debuts it is going to even have a ton of eating venues, 40 in all, the truth is.
Each cruiser has their very own private favourite cruise line. Some choose smaller ships against the large mega ships Royal Caribbean has constructed. And others choose peace and quiet versus a whole lot of actions to do across the ship.
Whereas this cruise line won’t be for everybody, it’s sure that Royal Caribbean has established themselves as a frontrunner in mainstream cruising. It usually prices greater than a Carnival or MSC cruise, however the fanbase is robust sufficient to remind us that it’s value the additional value.
Each cruise line has their specialty and space of focus. Try our article on Carnival and what they do higher than most cruise strains as effectively.
Have you ever sailed on a Royal Caribbean cruise earlier than? How would you examine it to different cruise strains you’ve tried?